Recognition and Mitigation of Serious Transfusion-Associated Adverse Events:
TACO, TRALI and Bacterial Sepsis
"While transfusion of blood and blood components is generally recognized as a safe procedure, adverse events ranging from mild to serious or fatal do occur. Recent advances in biovigilance have resulted in the increased recognition and reporting of such adverse events.
This program will discuss three of the most serious transfusion adverse events, including Transfusion-Association Cardiovascular Overload (TACO), Transfusion-Related Acute Lung Injury (TRALI) and bacterial sepsis.
Discussion will center around the differential diagnosis of a clinical case and will include the definition, clinical signs and symptoms, mechanism or pathophysiology, laboratory and imaging studies, treatment and prevention/mitigation of each adverse event."
- Review major categories of serious transfusion-associated adverse events
- Distinguish between TACO and TRALI reactions
- Describe causes, presentation, and mitigation of septic transfusion reactions
Level of Instruction
Author / Speaker
Mary Townsend, MD, Senior Medical Director, Blood Systems Inc.
Mary is a clinical pathologist with a subspecialty of Transfusion Medicine and Blood Banking. As Senior Medical Director at Blood Systems, she has oversight of donor eligibility, donor safety and evaluation of receipient serious transfusion reactions from client hospitals. Mary is a member of the AABB Donor Biovigilance Committee and the AABB Donor Questionnnaire Task Force. She is the recipient of the AABB President's Award for her work in the development of the donor Biovigilance System.
Cerus Corporation is approved as a provider of continuing education programs in the clinical laboratory sciences by the ASCLS P.A.C.E.® Program.
Contact Hour: 1.0
Expires on: Mar 13, 2020 at 11:59 pm CT the day of
Blitz + Associates, Inc. is approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, provider number 15148 for 1.0 contact hours.
Contact Hour: 1.0
Expires on: Apr 12, 2019 at 11:59 pm CT the day of
CBRN Renewal Pending
This program Has Been Approved by the American Association of Critical-Care Nurses (AACN) for 1.00 CERP, Synergy CERP Category A, File Number 22147.
Expires at: Apr 12, 2019 at 11:59 pm CT the day of
CERP Renewal Pending
Technical Requirements and Assistance
Minimum software requirements:
- Windows XP SP2
- Mac OS X 10.9
- iOS 7
- Android 4
- Learning activities may be in the Adobe Flash format. The latest version of Adobe Flash is always recommended to view this type of activity.
- Learning activities may be encoded as MP4 videos. Your browser must support MP4 playback natively or through the operating system to view these videos.
Minimum hardware requirements:
- 512MB of RAM
- 200MB of hard drive space
- Intel x86 processor
- Device capable of running iOS 7
- Device capable of running Android 4
Minimum connection speed:
- A broadband connection is required for Adobe Flash and MP4 learning activities.